21.7.09

Turning Catepillars to Butterflies...

Ever stand before your wardrobe and think to yourself 'How Do They Do It??? How do all those lovely fashionable ladies in the glossies and on the telly always look so fab?" Well ladies, they have stylists! One of the most talented and sought after stylists in the business, -she styled Amy Huberman for her book launch, Leigh Arnold for countless events just to name 2!! - Ingrid Hooey of Butterfly Style sat down with us and answered some of the more pertinent (and some silly) fashion questions that we had!

So Ingrid, when you were growing up, were you always into clothing, style and fashion? Were the people, celebrity or otherwise that you looked up to as style icons, or muses as a young girl? How about now? I always loved clothes and fashion. I would often wear summer dresses over levis when I was 4 or 5. When I was young I would make a shop with my dolls clothes and a cash register and pretend I was the shop manager!!!!. I love Kate Bosworths style she always just gets it right, whether it be casual or full on glam!

So how was it that you came to be a professional stylist? I was a buyer for F.X Kelly menswear which was an exclusive shop on Grafton Street.

What is it like to be a stylist? Describe a typical work week for you as a working Irish stylist to the stars… There is no typical week thats why I love my job so much. Last week I was styling Amy Huberman for the Miriam O'Callaghan show on Sat, On Weds I styled Amy for her new book launch Hello Heartbreak, Thursday I was filming all day for Total Xposure and Friday I was styling Emma Ledden for Total Xposure! Wow, how glam!!!

As an established stylist, what stars, magazines or design houses are on your client roster? I work with the new pop band Indutsry, Amy Huberman, Leigh Arnold, Emma Ledden to name a few. I also work closely with Joanne Hynes the Irish Designer.

What are the staples that you always keep in your kit when you go to meet with or style a client? My granny style sewing box!!!

Name the top five shops, products, or tools you can’t live without and work without? 1. Needle and thread

2. Clamps

3. Mascara

4. Lip gloss

5.Clips

Any recessionista fashion tips? What is worth the splurge? In what ways is it best to save? Just recycle what you have and swap clothes with your friends for nites out. A really good splurge in my opinion is a classic black dress.

It all seems like a lot of fun but obviously it is a job and real hard work so, what is the most rewarding part your job? What do you think is the most difficult? Most rewarding is when someone looks and feels amazing. Most difficult I really can't think of one.

What are you working on now? What are you most excited for coming up in your professional life? I am working on Total Xposure every week styling Emma Ledden and coming up you can see a shoot I styled for the Daily Mail with Niamh for their magazine You, it features the 9 Total Xposure contestants in totally different looks I am really looking forward to seeing it in print.

Any good horror stories to share? Yes but I can't tell you!!!

Are you a GLAM girl at heart? Do you like the fashion, the hair, the makeup - Or is it just all part of the job for you? I am a Glam girl at heart I love getting dressed up whether for work or play. Define your personal style? Where do you like to shop? Do you have a FAV designer or fashion house? I love Topshop, Zara, Urban Outfitters, BT2, Cocobelle and Caru.

Do you ever just enjoy hitting the shops or are you always looking at it from the point of view of a planner and a stylist? Of Course I enjoy hitting the shops but I suppose I always have people in mind when I go shopping and I would always think that would look great on.... A lot of girls use shopping or retail therapy to relax and de-stress, how do you unwind? Where do you like to blow off steam? I love spending time with my 2 favourite little people. My daughters Freya 5 and Milla 2

Which Item from your closet makes you feel most GLAM? My new black slingback Christian Louboutins always make me feel glam. What is the most LUXE item in your personal wardrobe? My black Balenciaga Dress

What is your go to outfit or look if you are in a pinch for a night out? My outfit that never fails me is black Stella McCartney skinny jeans with a vest top and my black and white skull scarf by Alexander McQueen, with my best friend my black leather jacket from Zara.. Any mottos – style or otherwise – that you live by? Not really a motto just that my family always come first above everything

Ok here are some quick silly rapid fire questions to wrap it up; -FAV Place in the whole wide world? My Bed -FAV Smell? My kids after a bubble bath -FAV Junk-food? Big Mac -FAV Cocktail? Apple Martini -Handbags or shoes? Shoes -Lip gloss or perfume? aaagghh.... lip gloss but really both LOVE IT OR HATE IT – Hippie head bands ? Hate Rompers? Depends on the person wearing them they are tricky to pull off Boyfriend Jeans? Love
You can reach out to Ingrid yourself @ www.butterflystyle.ie - and do, she is very talented and as lovely as can be!