28.7.09

Recessionista

In honour of the recession this year, I am doing something for the Galway Races that I have never done before - I am not buying a single new thing! Gasp! Shock! Horror! I know...Truth is, I'm lucky, I have a great job, good apartment, no worries at all. I could buy a new frock, hat, anything if I wanted but, I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about just how necessary it all is. I'm not famous, so no one is snapping me in the same dress twice. And what if I was? What if I really liked the way I looked in a dress? it fit really well? it was comfy? Would I still not be aloud to wear ever again....seems a bit harsh on the dress like! Anyway, while trying to distract myself from my lost mobile last night (which I got back, yeay!) I decided to g shopping my closet. 12 minutes into the exercise I decided I wold not spend a single cent on my outfit for the races, I'd do my own hair, make up and even nails-with items I already have! If it goes alright, perhaps it will become my thing, if I look dreadful...well it was all in the pursuit of my experiment! Anyway, here is what I've decided on for the day, an Alberta Ferretti dress I wore to a film premiere earlier in the spring, the fascinator (by Veronica Ryan) I wore to my sister's engagement part, a David Yurman necklace I got in New York last Christmas, my trusty dusty nude Chrissy Lubes that have paid for themselves already 10x over I wear them so much, my silver Chanel bag I got as a birthday gift last year, a CD cocktail ring I nicked from a friend (I've had it over a year and she knows it!), my Roberto Cavalli sunnies that I always bust out for the races, and a few bits and pieces from my make up bag that don't need replacing!

Galway Races