23.9.09

Spotlight On : Fionnuala Bourke

Fionnuala Bourke is a fresh, young, up and coming Irish designer who's looks we just adore and who's brain we were dying to pick! We've talked to models and stylists about the business and their love of fashion so we just couldn't wait to have a creator of clothes answer some of the same questions and more! What inspired your first collection?
My grandparents were "The Bourkes" of Dame Street, a family run costume shop. I based my first real collection, which was my degree collection, on them. My grandfather was playwright and costumier Seamus DeBurca, and made costumes for some amazing films like "Captain Lightfoot" and "Shake Hands with the Devil".
The shop has since closed but I was lucky enough to get old photo albums, pattern drafting books, illustration books as well as a few costumes. It was amazing to work with family heirlooms and create a contemporary collection, taking ideas from the old books and using things I love like sporty zips, buckles and buttons along with bright colours. I feel such a strong connection with my heritage, I still draw a lot of inspiration from my grandparents.
What is the most difficult aspect of the design business? What surprised you the most?
For me, the criticism is the hardest thing to deal with - and it never gets easier! When I was on Project Catwalk I think that must have been the toughest few weeks of my life, emotionally. You feel constantly on edge; Will the judges like this? Will they think it is awful? You have constant doubts about your own ability. When we would be working on a project and Ben De Lisi would come over to critique it, my stomach would turn when you see there is no smile on his face and you think "Oh shit." When I finished the show I didn't go near my sewing machine for two weeks but, eventually you get back in the saddle. That aspect of it never goes it away. I've done a lot of work with Miss Universe Ireland contestants and other Irish models and I constantly find myself battling with my own self doubts. But I think that is only natural as a designer, if you thought you were great all the time the big achievements wouldn't seem so big. Set backs are only there to make you stronger.
What is the best piece advice you have been given while you are starting up your business?
Contracts, contracts, contracts! It is fairly basic advice but I have had to learn it the hard way. I've been bitten in the ass quite often lately, but you live and you learn - I won't be bitten again!
What is your favourite piece that you have designed thus far?
My favourite piece so far would have to be the gown and bikini I did for Lynn Kelly when she won Miss Universe Ireland in 2008. She and I worked together to create the look and it was just amazing to see her win on national television! To think, my creations were seen by thousands and thousands or people, it is just a pity the announcer called me Fiona Byrne!
Which designers inspire you?
I love, love, love Marc Jacobs! To me, his work is timeless. After looking at some of the work from London Fashion Week this year, Matthew Williamson and Louise Goldin really stood out. If those two are anything to go by, next summer is going to be fresh, with a cool colour palette of blues, pale yellows and creams, with loads of embellishments and interesting shapes.
What is You r FAV fashion Era?
I love the style and shape of the clothing from the 30s and 40s. I love looking through old books and photo albums and seeing what was worn back then. It is definitely a time that still inspires me and a lot of the shapes and ideas are things you see on the high street time and time again.
Who is your Fashion Icon?
My style icon would have to be Tina Turner. I just love her. Even though I may not wear her style of clothing, I think it is still amazing that at her age she is still going strong, still looks amazing, still totally rocks a show. Style to me is not just about your clothes, it is about an all over look, how you carry yourself as a person. Tina is the epitome of an independent, strong woman and I hop at her age I am still sewing and making clothes that people love to wear!
**Check back in tomorrow to see what F has to say about her personal style, fashion tips everyone can use and the celebs she would love to dress along with our rapid fire questions!**