14.9.09

NY Diary

So, even though when I first arrived in NY last week it was grey dull and rainy the last two days have been absolutely cracking! Sunny, dry warm and no dreaded humidity which was the big (hair) problem during my summer trip! I am in and out of meetings to set up the event that I have been asked to host in November for an Irish street wear line (*more info to come soon!) Saturday was typical NYC day for me when I am here on a visit - shopping, lunch, shopping, dinner and then out with friends! Sunday, however, I decided to soak up the sun and spend the day doing things I've always talked about but never gotten around to doing. After waking in my GORGE suite at Fitzpatrick's Gran Central and having a big yummy breakfast, I headed downtown to the Irish Hunger Memorial - which I had been dying to see ever since Hillary Swank brought Harry Connick Jr. for Corned Beef sandwiches in P.S. I Love You! The site is beautiful, amazing and very moving. The Irish Hunger Memorial (which takes its name from the Irish term for the famine of 1845-52, "An Gorta Mor," The Great Hunger) stands on a half-acre site at the corner of Vesey Street and North End Avenue in Battery Park City, between the Embassay Suites Hotel and the Hudson River. The 96' x 170' Memorial, which contains stones from each of Ireland's 32 counties, is elevated on a limestone plinth. Along the base are bands of texts separated by layers of imported Kilkenny limestone. The limestone is more than 300 million years old and contains fossils from the ancient Irish seabed. It is quite surreal to stand in a lush green field surrounded by the remnants of centuries old Irish cottage and have sky scrappers all around you! After that it was another stop at my hotel before I headed up, waaaay up, town to another Irish happening - the NY GAA Final - if my encounter earlier in the day wasn't surreal enough, watching a game of Gaelic with the F Train in the background certainly was! After having a few pints with the winning team - what? I my love all things GLAM and FAB but I'm an Irish girl still and I can't say no to a good session! - I headed back to the hotel for some American Telly and an Irish Cup of Tea! I have a big week ahead of me and always need my beauty sleep! Hope everything is well back across the pond kittens and please, keep me abreast on all the FaB happenings! xxox