28.9.09

Spotlight on Fionnuala Bourke Part Deux

We're back with Fionnuala Bouke and part two of our chit chat with the dynamic, multi layered and talented fashion designer poised to take Ireland by storm. Many may recognize Fionnuala from her Project Catwalk days, or the name from dressing many Irish models and 208 Miss Universe Ireland 2008 Lynn Kelly.
Today we will hear about Fionnuala's personal style, wardrobe staples and the CeLaGs she'd most like to see wrapped in her creations!
What current Celebrity do you think has great style?
Well this is a typical answer of the moment but I would have to say Cheryl Cole. What a transformation from a few years ago! She is now a Nations Sweetheart! Her style is spot on trend for the moment but, for me personally she can be a bit hit and miss. I wouldn't love everything she wears and I understand she spends a lot of money on her look, but I think her personality radiates through..Lets face it, she could rock a black bag!
Who would you most love to see in your creations?
Well, I'd love to see Cheryl Cole in my clothes! That might happen one day, I'll have to get on that! Other then that, I'm a big fan of flying the Irish Flag. I've worked with Sharon Conden and Ruth O'Neill, and I hope to work with them again in the future. Who knows, maybe Laura Whitmore? Blaithnaid ni Choifigh? Shana Keane? The Xpose Girls? I'll just keep going until I dress all the women of Ireland!
How would you define your personal style?
My own style is quite casual cool. I live in jeans and t-shirts and my gold chain necklace, that's a staple! I'm normally very busy running from my day job as a visual merchandiser in a major high street retailer to my studio(which is not as fancy as it sounds - It's my brothers spare room in his house!) so it is a must that I'm wearing something comfy, converse runners, and I live in my boyfriend blazer.
What essentials should every woman own?
I definitely believe in a good bra. A good bra could change your whole shape! And good underwear, Trinny and Susannah were so right there. I think a staple pair of black sexy high heels,a pair of jeans that you feel amazing in, and confidence, then you're good to go!
You're best styling tip?
Dress to suit your shape and not the current trend! I'm short myself and I'm bigger on the top then on the bottom. I've learnt through trial and error that there is a lot I cannot wear. You have to be able to say to yourself; "No. I cant wear leggings and a short top, that just doesn't flatter my figure." There are a lot of sheep out there....
Well a sheep she is not! Fionnuala is a true Irish original! Check out her latest looks and collections at http://www.fionnualabourke.com/ - we know you will be impressed!