4.8.09

The Fashion Guard...

If you have ever worried about the contents of your wardrobe, the look that you present to the world, or you just have an important event to attend and need to look your best…then there is no greater help in the Country than the FAB Darren Kennedy at helpmystyle.ie/ You may recognize Darren from his various presenting roles on TV and Radio, or indeed from any of the columns he has written in the national newspapers – but it’s his work as a stylist, director of fashion website helpmystyle.ie/ and pretty much as a fashion guard, that we’re most interested in!
The 27-year-old Dubliner is without a doubt one of Ireland's rising presenting talents. Having presented for Sky Sports, TG4 and SKY’s WeddingTV, he has just recently completed his third season as part of the presenting team on RTE2's TTV. As for the National airwaves Darren can be heard reporting on 2FM’s Gerry Ryan Show and Derek Mooney’s programme on RTE Radio One. This work is, to say the least, varied and seen him cover everything from embracing the credit crunch to interviewing fashion giant Tommy Hilfiger and very recently Real Madrid footballer Rinaldo.
A fluent French speaker, Darren holds a first-class honors degree in International Business and Languages with French & Spanish. In addition to his media work, Darren also runs a very successful Personal Styling and Fashion service http://www.helpmystyle.ie/. He studied Fashion Styling at London’s premier fashion college Central Saint Martins and loves helping clients to enjoy a look that suits their lifestyle and character.
We always so enjoy hearing Darren’s reports on Radio and were in love with his recession inspired column in which he fooled his friends into helping him go an entire day without reaching into his pocket but, we admit, our biggest interest was the work he does with Help My Style and of course any personal little tidbits we could get out of him! Here are a few pearls of fashion wisdom he bestowed upon us and anything else we could get out of him! Enjoy! You are too cute and always look so chic but, you definitely have your own style and don’t seem to let the latest trends dictate your look too much. How would you define your style? My style really varies from day to day but I definitely don’t get caught up in changing trends. From time to time a style will come along that I love but I’ll adapt what I like about it to mix with my style and to make it work for me. I really like to play with colour and any outfit I wear is certain to infuse a blast of colour somewhere.
Growing up, were you always as into clothing, style and fashion as you are now? Growing up I always had a very keen interest in clothes and would save up to buy the items I really wanted but my parents were not willing to spend the money on. My first big fashion splurge was on a pair of black moleskin pinstripe trousers that cost me £200 pounds, back in the day. I was only about 15 years old and, at the time, most of my friends were still wearing clothes their mother picked for them! Did you have style icons, or muses when you were younger? How about now? Was there one big fashion moment or style turning point for you? My mother’s a very fashion-savvy lady, always has been so I think a lot of my interest in fashion and style comes from her. Diana Ross, over her career, has had a fantastic sense of style, she’s never been afraid to push it and I love her ostentatiousness. Today, Diane von Furstenberg is amazing with a super sensibility and femininity to her clothes that I just adore. Alexander McQueen and John Galliano for fantastic and creative menswear lines.
Which Item from your closet makes you feel most is your most luxe, make you feel the chicest? What is your go to outfit or look if you are in a pinch for a night out? I have two items which I know I can always count on. One is a classic Dolce & Gabbana white, dress shirt with pleated detail which I just adore – the fit, detail and fabric makes you feel like a million dollars. The other is a beautifully-cut blazer from Zara, with lovely detail on thin lapels and pockets. I know once these are dry-cleaned and back in my wardrobe I’ll have something to wear if I’m ever caught on the hop. Funnily enough both of these items are more formal than I’d usually wear! You always look so fab! Will we ever see Darren Kennedy in a pair of trainers and some trackies? Trainers are my absolute Achilles’ heel when it comes to shopping. When I come across a pair I like, I just have to buy them and unfortunately for me there’s never just one pair I like. For that reason I try to avoid shoe shops if not necessary. I have a collection to trainers that could dress an army platoon (some of which have yet to be worn)! You’ll see me wearing trainers a lot – probably 9 times out of 10. I’ll wear trainers even with a relatively formal outfit. Why not! I reserve the tracksuit for the gym though. What word do you think you use the most every day when you are working? Whether I’m broadcasting or styling, the most important thing is that the person I’m working with is comfortable. So rather than using any particular word, I practice a lot of active listening to try to be aware of not-so-much what they are saying but how they are saying it. If my interviewee or my client is happy, I’ve done a good job. As a stylist, what would you say is the most important aspect of any wardrobe? What are the staples that every guy and girl should have? Bringing things right back down to the very basics, everyone, man or woman, should have a classic shirt/blouse that’s well-fitted and makes them feel good about themselves when wearing it. You’ll never go wrong and a classic white/black shirt or blouse will work for any occasion once you accessorize correctly. What is the most rewarding part of helping a client with their style and wardrobe? Seeing that ‘Eureka’ moment when their eyes come alive as they discover new looks and realize ‘You know what, I actually can wear this and I rock!’ If you could give one person a total fashion overhaul, who would it be? What would you do? I’m actually working with an up & coming band at the moment called Run Kid (check them out on-line). There are four of them in the band (one lady, three guys) and they’ve signed up for a complete style overhaul so I have a lot of ideas for them and can’t wait to work with them. What are you working on now? What are you most excited for coming up in your professional life? Between my presenting work and running www.helpmystyle.ie, I’m really busy at the moment and very thankful to be. I report every week on The Gerry Ryan Show, 2fm and I’m also a reporter on the Derek Mooney programme on RTE Radio One so there’s a huge amount of variety to my work. For example, last week I was interviewing Ronaldo and meeting the Real Madrid team with a group of children from Barretstown one day and the next day I was on the streets of Dublin testing the nation’s taste buds to see if they could spot the difference between some battered fish! In terms of TV, I’m doing more work with Sky’s WeddingTV and recently introduced HelpMyStyle TV online. Name the top five shops, products or tools you can’t live and work without? My iPhone: it has become my life. Sad I know, but you’ve got to love it! My new grey Adidas Vespa classic trainers. They’re quite discreet for trainers and very comfortable when I’m presenting and on my feet all day. Shops: Indigo & Cloth; Reiss; Urban Outfitters and Genius My mac (Apple not the garment!) My glasses (got them in NYC and I’ve grown very attached!) We loved your article in the Herald about not spending a cent! Any recessionista fashion tips? What is worth the splurge? In what way is best to save? Recession tips: 1) If you’re strapped for cash but find something you really like in the shops, put it ‘on hold’ for three days and if after three days you’re still thinking about it then you should buy it, especially if it’s a classic piece 2) Don’t scrimp on the basics (good coat, shoes, grooming etc); they will pay dividends long-term. 3) Be creative with your clothes – they’re not uniforms, mix up what you already have and try different combos. Any mottos – style or otherwise – that you live by? Two of them actually that I always try to bear in mind: ‘Every NO is one step closer to a YES!’ ‘Bend like a reed’ - a beautiful Buddhist mantra. Where is your place to shop, either personally or with clients? Any little hidden fashion gems in the city you’d like to clue us in on? Indigo & Cloth is a new favourite. They have a basement store on South William Street. Also the flea Market on New Market Square, Dublin 8. If ever in London or New York, swing in to UNIQLO, fab Japanese casual wear. You always seem to be out and about, working and what not. How do you unwind? Where do you like to blow off steam? I enjoy being on the go but I also make sure to take time to just enjoy being. I enjoy socializing and traveling with my partner. Walking our dog Harry, he’s a mini-Yorkie and super cute, is always fun, usually in the Iveagh Gardens. Time with friends is important for me, as is doing pilates and drinking coffee! I really enjoy my food and eat out as much as possible. Saba, Clarendon Street, is a personal favourite. Ok I get everyone with these so I’ve gotta;
5 things you won’t leave the house without?
iPhone
ideas notepad
aftershave
credit card
my sense of humour:
God knows who I’ll end up interviewing or what topic I’ll end up covering during my working day!
FAV Place in the whole wide world? Paris (I used to work there and lived in a big, old apartment which I really loved. Manhattan is a very close second)
FAV Smell? Fresh spices on a wok
FAV Junk-food? Chocolate
FAV Cocktail? A Flirtini from Saba (champagne / cosmo combo!)
FAV curse word? Merde!
If all that wasn’t enough to convince you that this guy is one of the premiere fashion minds in the country then please, check out helpmystyle.ie and read some of the glowing client reviews, the always entertaining and informative blog posts and get an idea of what kind of help and services Darren has to offer!